Ohio State University President Michael V. Drake announced he’ll be retiring at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year earlier today. It should be noted that he won’t be going far— he will remain a faculty member at Ohio State—but he is stepping down nonetheless.
Here’s Drake’s statement on his retirement from news.osu.edu:
“Ohio State is a very special place. Brenda and I are blessed to be part of the incredible Buckeye community,” said Drake, 69. “The work being done at this university through teaching, learning, research, creative expression, community engagement and leading-edge partnerships is unprecedented in our 150-year history.
“Ohio State has enjoyed record successes in several of our most important strategic markers and has tremendous momentum. It was important to Brenda and me that the university be accelerating on a path forward as we decided to begin the transition.”
So, with all that said, now is a good time to look back on what all President Drake was able to accomplish at the helm of one of the biggest universities in America.
- Implemented tuition freezes for in-state students (good)
- Performed Blackbird by The Beatles (good, if you like The Beatles)
- Made sure there were plenty of mental health posters in parking lots, but not enough therapists for the student body (bad)
- Increased need-based aid for many students, leading to lower student debt (good)
- Has dealt with a myriad of controversies which include, but are not limited to, Jon Waters’ “sexualized culture” in the Ohio State Marching Band, Urban Meyer and Zach Smith on Ohio State’s football coaching staff, maintaining close ties between the university and donor Les Wexner despite his connections to noted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and the ongoing Richard Strauss sexual abuse case (very bad)
- Headed Ohio State’s most diverse classes in history (good)…
- …But also, African-American male enrollment remained at an extremely low number. Fewer than 130 black men were in each undergraduate freshman class from 2013-2017. (bad)
(Also can I just add that Michael Drake is currently 69 years old? Nice.)