We almost made it! The end of the semester is here and, with it, endless hours of self-doubt and wanting to crawl in a hole and die. It is with that in mind that I decided to compile a list of snackaroos and other potential self-care items you can get around campus to pull you through.
- Sugar Plum Danish from Starbucks – Hear me out. I went to Starbucks for my weekly Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew, and I happened to be looking at the seasonal offerings and tucked away under pastries, I saw a sugar plum danish. Look, I’ll level with you here, plums are not necessarily the most delicious snack. So, I was understandably suspect AF. However, HOLY SHIT. Y’all! The “sugar plum” is kind of like a sweet jelly that compliments the cream cheese on the danish. Not to mention that the crust that it’s on is different than the one they use for their regular danishes. It’s fluffy and so, so buttery. It honestly made my day, and now I order one whenever I go to Starbucks. It’s just the sweetness you need when you’re tired of life.
- Cheese Curds from Gateway Film Center – Y’all! I know it’s taboo to not order popcorn at a movie theater, but there’s just something about the cheese curds at Gateway that make me so happy. While you’re at it, grab a movie with your student discount! The Gateway is my second home and their curds are the best I’ve had in Columbus thus far. Not to mention you can pair them with a local beer and you’re good as gold. Although I don’t recommend drinking and writing, if you MUST drink to get through exams, I encourage you to follow Ernest Hemingway’s maxim: write drunk, edit sober. Thank me later.
- Winter Blossom Tea from Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea – You already read my Sweetwaters review, and I’m telling you their teas are amazing. This Winter Blossom tea is a twist on their Dragon Pearl Jasmine and it is so, so good. It also doesn’t hurt to have a little something to warm you up. I said this before, and I will say it again: Sweetwaters is a beautiful café. It’s always a good idea to switch up the places where you get work done. Why not treat yourself to some good tea?
- Modern Cobb Salad or Power Green Salad from OSU Vendors – I know, I know, you weren’t expecting this curve ball. Well, what can I say? Fat girl got TRICKS. These two salads are my absolute favorite to have for lunch on campus. Spend your last few swipes on these. They come with mixed greens, which any self-respecting salad includes, and their fixins are just so damn good. The Cobb Salad has corn, cheese, shaved carrots, bacon, chicken and a boiled egg. It honestly has all you need. This one’s my go-to when I’m super hungry and don’t have a lot of time between classes. If you’re more on the veggie side of things, the power green salad is your best bet: couscous, edamame, strawberries, almonds, blueberries and grapes on a kale spring mix. MY GUY. These two salads are hidden gems on campus, for sure, and make a quick nutritious snack you can get between finals.
- Vietnamese Coffee + Cheesecake from Coffee Connections at Gateway – I had the opportunity to visit Coffee Connections around the time they opened their new spot at Gateway. Their coffee is locally sourced, and all their pastries come from local small-business owners, including Cheesecake Girl. And if at this point in your life you haven’t tried a cheesecake from Cheesecake Girl, you are MISSING OUT. I highly recommend you try their Vietnamese coffee. It changed my life and gave me the boost I needed for the day. All of their pastries are wonderful, but I don’t have to tell you to try to get some of that Cheesecake Girl noms if you can. It will give you the final push you need to get done.
Of course, self-care can look a myriad of different ways. Sometimes self-care can simply be taking a shower or washing your hair. As this is a food blog and I’m food-motivated, (also why I’m fat as fuck), I put this list together so that you know where to go if you’re having a bad day, and cheesecake would do the trick to get you over that paper.
I wish you all the luck in the world with your finals. You got this, friend!