OSU student and beauty IG’er Amanda Frederick gives me a makeover.
Whether you’re a makeup novice or own every James Charles palette, makeup is a part of everyone’s daily routine. For some, this is a full personalized regime that they swear by, and for others, they simply apply foundation, swipe on mascara and call it a day. Either way, makeup is an investment, both time and money, so why not do it right? And there’s no better way to learn than to get a makeover by a pro. Going out or going to class, I learned some tips and tricks from beauty Instagrammer Amanda Frederick to brighten up your look.
- Primer is a MUST. It hydrates your skin throughout the day and helps your makeup stay on longer.
- Frederick uses demi-matte foundation because it gives you wetter look, without looking too dry and flat.
- Protip: Nobody thinks to put foundation on your ears or in the corner of your eye, but these are spots that people often miss. Putting foundation here can make a huge difference.
- If your foundation doesn’t match your skin tone perfectly, be sure to bring it down on your neck.
- Protip: Dab don’t drag.
- Put concealer on problem areas and under the eye.
- Protip: Spray concealer brush with setting spray first, it make the concealer blend into the skin easier, less cakey.
- Areas to hit: Under cheekbones, top corners of the forehead and outside of the bridge of the nose to slim your face and give it dimension.
- She loves and used highlighter because it brightens your face without having to cake it on.
- Areas to hit: Tip of nose, apples of cheeks and middle of the forehead.
- If you don’t typically use dramatic eyeshadow shades, she recommends sticking to nudes, champagne and blush colors.
- Get creative and blend different shades together such as purples and golds like this look here.
- Protip: Always put a darker shades in the outer crease.
- Protip: Put white setting powder under the eye before doing your eyeshadow because if eyeshadow gets on the skin it will ruin your makeup.
Setting spray is life:
- Sets your makeup into your skin and instantly gives it a smoother look, plus you can get affordable versions that work great.
- Protip: Fan it to dry before you do anything else.
- She’s trying to go cruelty-free with her makeup and using up all the palettes she has that test on animals so she can fully transition to cruelty-free products.
To check out Amanda’s Instagram, follow her @amanda_frederick.